Tortellà is a millenary village, located in the plain of the Alta Garrotxa. Its first documented references date back to the 10th century. The parish church, dedicated to Saint Mary, was built in the 18th century and replaced the older one, located in the same place. The oldest architectural element preserved is the medieval bridge over the river Llierca, constructed in the 14th century, near Sadernes. By the end of the 18th century, industry and trade turned Tortellà into the centre of the comarca, after Olot. One of the most important industries, already documented in the 18th century, is one that produced spoons out of beech and boxwood. Such industrial and commercial spirit caused that, unlike most villages of the comarca, Tortellà favoured the liberalist side during the wars in the 19th century. As a result, in August 1873, the Carlists took revenge by laying siege to the village and burning down some of its buildings.