The industrialization process in La Garrotxa took place near the river Fluvià, making use of its force to produce energy. In La Canya there were two industries: Can Sabata and Can Porxes. Located on the left side of the river Fluvià, both gave rise to a spectacular economic, demographic, social and industrial growth at the end of the 18th century and beginnings of the 19th. Can Sabata was an old flour mill which in 1833 was turned into a spinning factory. Can Porxes was a paper mill built in 1754 by Joaquim Porxes, who was involved in the production of baking parchment. However, during the Spanish Civil War, the mill was turned into a factory which produced material to make explosives.