Castellfollit de la Roca played a very important role during the Third Carlist War (1872-1875). A key event during the wars was the battle of Toix. In March 1874, the Carlists were in control of the vast majority of La Garrotxa except for the city of Olot, which was under a constant siege. From Girona, controlled by the government, they sent a troop commanded by General Nouvillas to free Olot from the Carlist siege. The Carlists, under the command of General Savalls, settled in Castellfollit to stop their enemies. In the morning of the 14th of April 1874, the Liberal troops diverted to Tortellà and Plansalloses so as to sneak up on the Carlists, who expected them to come from the river. However, the legend says that the Carlists realized their strategy because of the reflection of the sun on their shotguns. Therefore, when the Liberals reached their destination the Carlists were prepared and waiting for them. This battle is considered the Carlists most important victory and was later a source of inspiration for poems and songs. The Carlists obtained one of their most important victories and also a significant booty, which consisted in 150 horses, 2,000 firearms and 1,800 prisoners. Only two days after the battle of Toix, on the 16th of April 1874, Olot surrendered and became Catalonia's most important city controlled by the Carlists. This situation only lasted a year, until the Carlists had to run away and ended up losing the war. It is the old parish church located in front of the basaltic cliff. It was originally Romanesque, although, due to the 15th century earthquake and the several wars, it had to be rebuilt and modified on several occasions. It was first documented in the 14th century with the words “ecclesia de Castrofollito sufragganea”, which means that it was not the only church in Castellfollit de la Roca, since there were the parish church and Castell de Sant Salvador church. The old church was built in the 11th and 12th centuries. During the Peninsular War it was destroyed by the French troops and the bishop Miquel Joan de Taberner decided to rebuild it. However, in 1936, at the beginning of the Civil War, it was burned down and was left without roof. After many reforms it is nowadays a cultural centre.