Garrotxa Cultour - Página Principal

Menu Home
Point of heritage interest

Remains of the walls surrounding Castellfollit de la Roca

  • Remains of the walls surrounding Castellfollit de la Roca
  1. A+
  2. A-

Description

During the Middle Ages, Castellfollit was protected by its walls, located at the top of a basaltic cliff. Nowadays, there are very few remains of these walls, although along the Rossolada path there were some fortified doors. In the Font Street we can still admire a defence tower and some loopholes. Moreover, in the Cingle square there is a house called Can Castell, which is built with some of the old village walls. The castle was documented for the first time on 26th October 1193, when Ponç de Cervera, his wife Marquesa and his son Pere, deputies of the viscountcy of Bas, transferred the castle and the village to Ramon de Colltort. Some families settled around the castle giving rise to the first village, which was later fortified. The village walls were gravely affected by the 15th century earthquakes and many houses were demolished. In the 17th century, during the Nine Years' War, the French assaulted the castle and, apparently, they demolished it. It was also a strategic place during the Peninsular War. Due to all these battles, the fortification was so affected that it was rebuilt in 1875.