The first documented references of this Medieval bridge date back to the 13th century, although the present bridge is the result of a reconstruction made after the earthquakes of the 15th century (1427-1428). This reconstruction was partially made using the volcanic stone found in the area. During the Middle Ages, the bridge became a key communication track connecting the Pyrenees and the Catalan coast. In Modern times, a population has grown around it, closely linked to the water, the nature and the springs, a very present element in the municipality and which, precisely, gives name to the village. Already in the 18th and 19th centuries, with the industrialization process, several shops, houses and other buildings settled around the bridge, giving rise to the present Sant Joan les Fonts.