The count Guifred of Girona-Besalú. Founded the Riudaru monastery in 852 and, six years later, the bishop Sunifred of Girona consecrated the church. Practically a century later, in 937, the count Sunyer of Barcelona joined the monastery of Santa Maria de la Grassa, giving rise to Riudaura. However, in the 15th century, the monastery was destroyed by an earthquake and, later Santa Maria church was built in its place. Three centuries later, in 1779, the church was completely reformed. These days, the Barroque entrance stands out. Next to it there is a house known as “the monastery” or “abbey” with a round small Medieval tower.