The castle of Santa Pau was once the home to the Santa Pau barons since the barony was created in 1278, when one descendant of Oliba – a vassal of the Frank King Radul-Ponç III, lord of Santa Pau and Finestres, took the surname of Santapau. Since then, the city walls were built around the castle, giving birth of the village of Santa Pau. This castle, with a square floor and Gothic large windows, was built between the 13th and 18thcenturies. All the rooms are distributed around an inner courtyard which has a well in the centre. The main tower stands on the old Sant Antoni Abat and Sant Honorat's base, where the donations of Santa Pau barons were kept, among which an alabaster altarpiece dating from 1340, a true cross and several articles made of precious metals stand out. The castle was restored in 1766. By the end of the 19th century and until 1969 it was occupied by the Dominican Sisters of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin. The architectural complex formed by the castle, the church and the square was declared a historical-artistic complex in 1970.