Besalú was surrounded by walls for good part of its history. The walls, though, when, necessary, were expanded. The first wall only surrounded the castle and the buildings nearby. Later on, in the 12th century, the ones surrounding Sant Vicenç church and the Jewish callwere built. Eventually, in the 16th century, they were expanded until Sant Pere monastery. But it was not until 1814 when Napoleon's army, after having occupied the town, destroyed part of the walls so as to deprive Besalú from its defensive capability. Urban evolution has altered the landscape since then. However, wandering around the old town centre, we will still be able to see remains of every period.